When it comes to application security testing, choosing the tool best suited for the job is critical. There are so many various tools on the market that determining which one is best for your needs may be difficult. In this article, we will discuss 10 of the best testing tools and outline the features you should look for when making your decision. We’ll go through the advantages and disadvantages of application security testing, as well as help you decide if it’s a good fit for your company.
Features To Look For When Selecting A Tool For Application Security Testing
When selecting a tool for application security testing, it is important to consider the features that are most important to you. Here are some of the features you should look for:
- Ease of use: The tool should be easy to use, even for beginners
- Flexibility: The tool should be flexible enough to accommodate your needs and allow you to test all aspects of your application
- Functionality: The tool should offer a wide range of functionality so that you can test every aspect of your application’s security
- Reporting capabilities: The tool should generate comprehensive reports detailing the results of the security tests
- Price: The tool should be affordable without sacrificing quality or features
The Pros And Cons Of Application Security Testing
There are several pros and cons that you should consider before making a decision. Here are some of the most important:
- Application security testing can help you identify vulnerabilities in your application and fix them before they can be exploited
- Security testing will assist you in avoiding costly data breaches
- Testing will enhance the security of your applications in whole, as well as the security posture of your company
- Testing is time-consuming and requires expertise to execute properly
- Setting up the processes may be difficult or impossible to sustain without appropriate resource allocation
- The results of application security tests may vary in accuracy if not conducted correctly
Is Application Security Testing the Right Answer for Your Business?
Before deciding whether or not to implement application security testing, you need to ask yourself a few questions. Here are a few things to consider:
- What do your application’s size and complexity look like?
- Do you have the resources (staff, time, money) to implement and maintain an application security testing program?
- Can you afford to pay for the tools and services necessary for application security testing?
- What is the level of risk your firm is prepared to take in order to protect its data?
If you answer these questions appropriately, security testing may be the right solution for your organization. However, if you are unsure or uncomfortable with any of the answers, it is best to consult with a professional before making a decision.
5 Recommended Tools for Application Security Testing
Here are our top picks of the best tools for application security testing, based on features and price.
- AppScan Standard: Another comprehensive tool that offers everything you need to test the security of your applications, AppScan Standard is straightforward to operate and versatile with lots of features. It also generates comprehensive reports detailing the results of the security tests. Price: $2495/year (single-user license)
- Burp Suite: A comprehensive tool, Burp Suite offers everything you need to test the security of your applications. Simple to use and adaptable, it has many features and generates comprehensive reports detailing the results of the security tests. Price: $299/year (individual license)
- Retina Web Security Scanner: A fast and accurate scanning tool that can identify vulnerabilities in your web applications, Retina WSS is simple to use and provides reliable outcomes. Price: $499/year (single-user license)
- Astra’s Pentest: A comprehensive pen testing and vulnerability scanning solution, Astra Pentest offers everything you need to test application security. Astra Pentest also offers Static and Dynamic Application Security Testing for web applications. The pricing and plans vary according to the scope and number of tests required. The basic plan for pentesting is offered at $99/month.
- QualysGuard: A comprehensive vulnerability management platform that offers everything you need to manage the security of your applications, QualysGuard delivers accurate results and has a reasonable price range. Price: $1800/year (base package)
Application security testing is an essential component in safeguarding your company against costly data breaches, is time-consuming and requires expertise to execute properly. Done right, security testing will improve the overall security of your applications and your company, especially those engaged in digital storefronts and e-commerce. Overall, the advantages far outweigh the time and expense involved.
If you’re not sure whether a security testing program is appropriate for your company, get advice from a specialist. Hopefully, this information will assist you in making an informed decision regarding whether or not to implement application security testing in your company.